Body Art Facilities
The Michigan Public Health Code requires licensure and inspections by local health departments of body art facilities that tattoo, brand or perform body piercing. The Ottawa County Department of Public Health annually inspects tattoo facilities to ensure adequate sterilization, sanitation and safety standards are maintained. Tattooing involves a needle, and it can be likened to a surgical procedure. This process exposes people to risks of infections, some of which are serious and difficult to treat. Bacterial and bloodborne infections can happen when non-sterile water, inks and equipment are used. Blood may carry the hepatitis B virus, hepatitis C virus or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). These viruses can be dangerous and make you sick. Some of these diseases are permanent and can be fatal. Exposure can happen through needle sticks, contact with dried blood on equipment or surfaces, or even blood splashes in the eyes, nose or mouth. If you decided to get a tattoo, find a facility that:
- Is licensed and inspected.
- Maintains a clean and organized facility.
- Follows hygienic practices and proper handwashing.
- Cleans and sterilizes equipment and surfaces.
- Wears clean disposable gloves.
- Opens a new sterile needle in front of you.
- Disposes used needles in a Sharps container.
- Uses inks that are manufactured specifically for tattooing.
- Uses inks and ointments portioned out for individual use.
- Uses only sterile water to dilute concentrated inks or rinse equipment during tattooing.
- Does not allow tattooing of minors (without written parental consent) or people under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
|BEHIND THE LINES||14 S BEECHTREE||GRAND HAVEN||49417|
|CROWS NEST||823 SAVIDGE||SPRING LAKE||49456|
|GREMLIN GALLERY LLC||7813 COTTONWOOD DR||JENISON||49428|
|HOODOO TATTOO||178 W LAKEWOOD BLVD||HOLLAND||49424|
|HTOWN INK||549 W 18TH STREET||HOLLAND||49423|
|LOVE TATTOO||127 OLD-M21 B||JENISON||49428|
|STUDIO SEVENTEEN||214 COLLEGE AVE||HOLLAND||49423|
|PURE ADDICTIONS||76 E LAKEWOOD BLVD #1||HOLLAND||49424|
|SAMMY NAILS||380 CENTRAL||HOLLAND||49423|
|SCREAMING NEEDLE TATTOO||4629 LAKE MICHIGAN DR||ALLENDALE||49401|
|THE PINK DOOR SPATIQUE||567 BALDWIN ST||JENISON||49428|
|TIGER BOMB||549 W 18TH STREET||HOLLAND||49423|
|WICKED WAYS 2||6197 LAKE MICHIGAN DR||ALLENDALE||49401|
|Z.INK||36 N ELM||ZEELAND||49464|
For additional information or to request a facility inspection report, please call (616) 393-5645.