Community Mental Health (CMH) is a public provider of services for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities, serious mental illness, and/or substance use disorders. Our programs and activities are governed by a Board of Directors.Our services are available to residents of Ottawa County who have Medicaid or are uninsured, and who are eligible for services as defined by the Michigan Mental Health Code. We are CARF accredited for 12 programs.
CALL FOR ADVOCACY
THE MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES PLANS TO:
- Terminate the state’s contract with the Lakeshore Regional Entity. The Lakeshore Regional Entity is the public managed care plan (a Prepaid Inpatient Health Plan (PIHP) in federal terms) that manages the Medicaid behavioral health benefit for the counties on the west side of the state.
- Contract directly with Beacon Health Options, a private managed care company currently managing the Medicaid behavioral health benefit in a partnership with the Lakeshore Regional Entity.
- Eliminate the Lakeshore Regional Entity Board of Directors and replace it with an advisory board formed by the state.
- Have the state hold the contract, directly with Beacon Health Options, for FY 2020, with another of the state’s public managed care plans or a private behavioral healthcare plan taking on this managed care role, from the state, for FY 2021
OUR CONCERNS ABOUT THE MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES PROPOSAL:
- This proposal, by the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS), causes a great deal of unnecessary chaos and conflict when far simpler, more rapid, and more concrete options for achieving these aims are available.
- This proposal eliminates local public governance of the Community Mental Health behavioral health system – one of the foundations of Michigan’s nationally recognized behavioral health system for the past 50 years – and replaces it with a state-appointed advisory board.
- The contention that management weakness is the cause of the fiscal distress of Lakeshore Regional Entity is simply untrue, as underscored by the facts. Multiple Pre-paid Inpatient Health Plans (PIHPs) are in financial distress in Michigan
ADVOCACY TALKING POINTS
A WISER PATH: MDHHS’ concerns can be achieved sooner, simpler, and more directly without eliminating the local public control of the public behavioral healthcare system in this region. This wiser path would include:
- MDHHS partnering with the Lakeshore Regional Entity and Beacon Health Options in co-managing the benefit. This could be accomplished via a three-way contract.
- Require, via this three-party partnership, changes in the make-up of the Lakeshore Regional Entity Board of Directors.
- Require, via this three-party partnership, changes in the role of the Lakeshore Regional Entity staff in their partnership with Beacon Health Options.
OTTAWA COUNTY STATE LEGISLATORS CONTACT INFORMATION
State Senator Roger Victory|
District 30: Ottawa County
State Representative Luke Meerman|
District 88: Townships of Allendale, Chester, Georgetown, Polkton, Tallmadge, & Wright, City of Coopersville
State Representative Jim Lilly|
District 89: Townships of Blendon, Crockery, Grand Haven, Olive, Park, Port Sheldon, Robinson, & Spring Lake, the Cities of Ferrysburg & Grand Haven
State Representative Brad Slagh|
District 90: Townships of Holland, Jamestown, & Zeeland, Cities of Holland & Zeeland (Ottawa County Only)
To learn more about the programs being funded by the Mental Health Millage check out the FY 2018 Outcomes document here.